Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Pre-Veterinary Medical Association

Last night Barbara and I went to North Carolina State University in Raleigh to give a talk to the Pre-Veterinary Medical Association. Well, she gave the talk and I got to be the demo dog. We left Ambrose at home so he would not disgrace us in front of all the future veterinarians.

I enjoy demonstrating my skills and getting lots of attention from the audience. And of course I knew it had to be a good place to go to because the university's mascot is the wolf!




All the students were very friendly and gave me lots of attention. Of course as pre-vet students they all like dogs and so I was much admired. Many of them even gave me ear rubs which I adore.



Barbara gave a talk about humane, positive training methods and how they build the relationship between dogs and people. She talked about the ways trainers and vets can work together and all the great training information that is available now and not like in the dark ages when she started training dogs. I got to demo some of my tricks and showed off my great recall. I had to come all the way across the lecture hall, passing the table where all the people snacks were, and up the stairs to Barbara. Needless to say, I was great.

The students asked lots of good questions about training. I enjoyed meeting the students and I hope that they all become excellent vets and help lots of dogs.

Here I am posing with two of the officers of the club.



The only disappointing thing about the meeting was that the students were eating chocolate chip cookies and I wasn't able to beg for a single one. Because they are pre-vet students they all knew that chocolate is bad for dogs.

13 comments:

MurphyDog said...

How exciting for you! Sounds like quite a big day for both you & Barbara!

Mom wants to know the secret to a bomb-proof recall. I hate to admit it...but I have very selective hearing, especially when there are other doggies around and I am offleash. Any tips would be appreciated (according to her).

wags, wiggles & slobbers
Murphydog

Unknown said...

Poor Ambrose. A disgrace, really? As for the chocolate chip...now that's a shame. If they new so much about dogs couldn't they have brought healthier snacks/treats?
Twinkie

Dexter said...

At least they didn't practice taking your temperature. I was worried for a little bit when you said you were a demo dog for the vet students.

Yuh, having vets that know how to handle doggies is super important.

Slobbers,
Mango

Lorenza said...

I agree with Mango.
I read Demo Dog for Vet students and I thought... Oh-oh!
Glad everything went well!
Yes... they must know about chocolate cookies! Hmmm...
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

Life With Dogs said...

Ok, demo - that's good news. As are the cuties giving you a hug. :)

Molly the Airedale said...

What a bummer you didn't get any handouts after performing for the students so well, Niamh!

Love ya lots,
Maggie and Mitch

Deetz said...

That is so cool! You have grown so much, I cannot believe it. What a hansome dog you are. I am sorry you didn't get any cookies!
Deetzy

Gus, Louie and Callie said...

You are a pro. Mom is lucky to have you.. Ambrose will learn soon enough with you and Mom there for his training..
Head pats are awesome..


Big Sloppy Kisses
Gus, Louie and Callie

Clive said...

What a great evening you had!

Shame about those choc-chip cookies - the NSLM would have loved them!

take care
Clive and the NSLM

Clive said...

What a great evening you had!

Shame about those choc-chip cookies - the NSLM would have loved them!

take care
Clive and the NSLM

Unknown said...

Niamh - that sounds like a very interesting evening and of course, you were great as usual! :-)

Slobbers,
Honey the Great Dane
ps. Hsin-Yi says she would be interested to hear your response to MurphyDog's question about Recalls too! Not that I have a problem with recalls - I'm very good and always come when called, even if I'm playing with other dogs - but she would be very interested in hearing how your Barbara would teach it! :-)

Juno said...

Niamh! You must impressed all the students! You and Barbara, what a pawfect team. (sorry Ambrose, we know you're good as well!) We wish all future vets had something yummy to offer to you.

Have a great weekend!

Momo & Pinot

BRUTUS said...

Way to impress the future vets of the world! How great of an idea for their club to have someone speak on positive training! Too bad you couldn't train them to give you one of those cookies, though!

Snorts-
Brutus the Frenchie