Friday, January 11, 2008

I'm Exhausted

I barely have the energy to dictate this blog entry. It has been a busy week and today was especially busy. What with tracking in the morning and playing with a puppy in the afternoon I only had a few hours in between to nap while Barbara was giving lessons.

I started out the morning doing a particularly difficult track. We met Ayla and Sandi at Jordan Lake. I thought we were going swimming even though it was drizzling. Barbara laid a 225 yard track with two turns. The difficulty was in the rough terrain (Barbara managed to trip and fall in a hole) with lots of tall grass and then a turn into the woods! On top of that it was very windy which blew the scent around. I wanted to do alot of fringing to check out the scent in the holes and ruts. I had to circle a bit on my second turn but then found the track. But it went into the pine woods. I was not sure if I should go into the woods since we had never done that on a track before. I looked back at Barbara and she encouraged me to enter the woods. Sure enough there was plenty of scent in the pine needles which I tracked to my final article - a makeup case stuffed with sausage biscuit. Yeah! I could tell that Barbara and Sandi were quite pleased with how well I worked. Then Ayla worked her track and I understand that she got slices of chicken at her final article.




This afternoon we went to see Pippo and Snowflake. Their person Jane has been fostering a cute lab mix named Summer and she wanted to see Summer's play style with me. I have good body language so Barbara was happy to bring me over to play with Summer.

Summer was a little pushy but I just turned around and stared at her (I learned this from Selkie) and she backed off smartly. We did some chasing in the yard and in the house as well. I wanted a drink of water and made Summer get away from the water bowl. Puppies should be deferential. Selkie took every opportunity to remind me of this important facet of canine social behavior.

Fortunately Jane has found an excellent permanent home for Summer so she should have a great life with her new people. I am glad to know that because many dogs have boring horrible lives tied out on chains or no homes at all.

Anyway I must rest now. I understand that tomorrow I am going to the dog park. I really don't know if I can keep up this pace

3 comments:

Opy - the Original GruffPuppy said...

Hey buddy,

Welcome to www.dogswithblogs.com.au - it is great to meet you and I am sure you will make lots of new friends here :-)

Love
Opy

powder-puff said...

HEY!!

Nice to meet you!

You are a VERY Adorable dog and i enjoyed reading your blog!!

Drop by my blog sometime i would LUV to hear from you!!

peace out
puff

Amber-Mae said...

Hi there guys! Very nice to meet ya!

Love licks,
Solid Gold Dancer