Saturday, July 5, 2008

Selkie's Anniversary



Today is a sad anniversary. One year ago today my big sister Selkie died. It was very unexpected as she had seemed very healthy up until she woke us up at 2 in the morning in great distress. It was a horrible thing called a spontaneous pneumothorax which meant her lungs collapsed. Even though Barbara rushed her to the emergency vet and then to the vet school, they could not save her.




Selkie was a very special Gordon Setter. She was smart and silly and very confident. She loved everyone she met especially little kids. Selkie was very opinionated and was in charge at home. I was only allowed to play with her toys if she let me (which wasn't often) and sometimes she stole mine. But she was fun to play with and was excellent at chasing.



Selkie and Barbara did Rally and Freestyle competition together. They had a great bond and I know Barbara still misses her very much. I do too.

After Selkie died our friends in the Drill Team made a donation to the NC State College of Veterinary Medicine in her memory. There are two bricks there dedicated to Selkie and you can view them here

10 comments:

Stanislaw said...

I'm sorry you lost your sister. I lost my baby brother 18 months ago and I know how sad it can be. It feels good to say that they were loved from beginning to end and not many dogs in this world are so fortunate as to have a family that would do anything for them. Your sister was obviously one of the lucky ones, and now you are too. Make sure you enjoy every minute of it!

Molly the Airedale said...

We're so sorry that you lost your sissy, Niamh! How heartbreaking! She's such a beautiful girl and was obviously quite talented!

Love ya lots,
Maggie and Mitch

Lacy said...

w00f's Niamh, sooo sorrwy about ur sissy...u can tell she wuz very much loved..she iz prolly at the bridge still playin a fun game of chase..

b safe,
~rocky~

Lorenza said...

Niamh,
I know this is a sad day for you and Barbara but you have lots of good memories of her.
Thanks for sharing them with us.
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

Toffee said...

I am sorry i know the loss of a family member is always a sad memory because of the "hole" that is left in your heart...at least happy memories can help you feel a little more whole...what a lovely tribute...

The Zoo Crew said...

Hopefully the memories that you all have of Selkie will always carry you forward with a smile on your face!

The Zoo Crew

Mr. T-Bone Beasley said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your sister Selkie. That's so sad! However, I'm sure she's at the Rainbow bridge right now, watching after you and very proud of you!

Slurp!
Mr. T-Bone Beasley

Hero said...

I'm so sorry for your loss, Niamh. Thank you so much for sharing her story and those beautiful pictures of her.

much love,
Hero

Chef said...

Niahm, you've given us tears. What a wonderful sister Selkie was and we can imagine how much you and Barbara miss he. We know about such sadness and we would hug you so tight if we could. Stanislaw is right. She was very lucky to be so loved. Thanks for letting us get to know her.

xox
Chef

Royal said...

Niamh,

I'm so sorry I never knew your sister Selkie. I know that I would have liked her very much. Jenn tells me Selkie was simply magical and that she is missed by many.

Thinking of you and Barbara,
Royal